Tuesday, March 27, 2007

New Hosting Provider

Update: Migration went pretty well, photo map updated with new links.

I am in the process of migrating my site to a new hosting provider. Red Check used to serve me pretty well, but lately they've been pretty close to horrendous in terms of service level. So, I picked up a GoDaddy plan for about 55% of the cost, that offers 10 times as much storage and transfers and lets me configure a greater number of databases, too.

Because I'm not a huge MySQL/PHP expert, I decided to re-create my Coppermine gallery from scratch. Luckily, the batch upload is working on the new site (it always bugged me that it didn't work on the old provider). That means I can also migrate my legacy hand-coded galleries into the database more easily... So, I won't have to maintain two separate gallery pages with perpetually outdated links. I will, however, have to fix the links on my map -- most of them will be broken as a result of the gallery rebuild.