Sunday, September 04, 2005

Bicycle Stuff

"Ride your bike." -- Eddy Merckx (regarding how to train)

Get a bicycle -- you have to start somewhere:
It doesn't matter if you get a Giant (Makers of my road bike), a Specialized (Makers of my mountain bike), make like Lance and ride a Trek, go American with a Cannondale, try Diamondback (Had one of their BMX/freestyle bikes when I was a kid), or GT, or Haro, or even Schwinn. Remember those banana-seat bikes? Yes? Good. You're old, too.

There are, of course, too many other manufacturers to list, so you can always Google search (for "bicycle").

Get stuff:
Supergo, Bike Nashbar, and Colorado Cyclist all have big online stores. REI has stores in many states, and carries a good selection of bike stuff. If you happen to be in the Austin area, check out Bicycle Sport Shop and Buck's Bikes, among others.

Get a rack (for those times that you have to start your ride somewhere else):
Yakima and Thule have racks for
most vehicles, but not mine.
Bird Automotive has racks for some sports cars, like the Boxster, 350Z, TT, and G35.

Contribute:
I am participating in the Lance Armstrong Foundation (LAF) Ride for the Roses for my 2nd consecutive year. Last year, I rode 26 miles on my mountain bike -- this year (October 23rd) I will be riding 44 miles on my road bike. The LAF supports cancer research and cancer survivors. You can contribute via my "Peloton Project" page -- the LAF is trying to raise $7 million before September 16th. Here's a write-up from the Austin Chronicle during last year's ride.

Find out about safe routes, bicycle advocacy groups, etc.

Most Importantly - Ride
:
Stop reading and go ride! It's nice out
somewhere.