Friday, June 30, 2006

What's Old is New Again...

I just put OpenBSD 3.9 on my old notebook, and am having fun running FVWM for the first time since about 1995 or so... This same system ran quasi-terribly with SuSE 9.x and kubuntu -- it just didn't have the horsepower to drive KDE. Turns out that without the overhead of a "modern desktop environment," (for the record Gnome sucked on it too -- via FC4 and ubuntu) the performance of my old P-III/850 is perfectly acceptable. My video and audio drivers are both fully supported, and my good-old PRISM3-based USB wi-fi adapter even looks like it will "just work" on non-WPA networks.

In other news, I added a Java SSH client to my site, so any browser with Java will now allow me to make my connections to various hosts throughout the galaxy. Public terminals are suddenly useful to me...